Saturday, October 22, 2011

Age of Discovery

On Wednesday Katy went with her "Women in History" class to the local birthing center. As I did the dishes that night she was telling me all about it, including a picture on her phone of her "crazy" teacher sitting in the giant tub, asking way too many questions for the students comfort. Katy told me how the midwife showed them around, how the midwife was explaining different aspects of childbirth to them as the tour continued.
"But," she added, "isn't the midwife the lady who gets pregnant for someone else? I kept wondering, 'yeah, but where's the baby?' "
This comment stopped me  in my dish-washing tracks, and I stared at my beautiful 17 year old daughter, wondering exactly how much of the Birds & Bees I should revisit with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment