Sunday, June 5, 2011

Holiday Hilarity Part IV: It's in the Bag

For John's birthday this year I had a silly whim and decided to wrap all of his gifts in Victoria's Secret bags.  Although I'm sure the idea came upon me due to a lack of wrapping paper, it did strike me as a really funny idea, so when he came home on his birthday to a giant pile of pink bags, varying in size (hmmm, I like to think ALL of my Victoria's Secret bags are small!), I, for one, was giggling.
When Katy announced on Christmas Eve that she had decided to wrap all of her gifts to her friends in Victoria's Secret bags, the idea began to seem less appropriate. However, parenting -especially teenagers- is a constant tension of choosing which "battles" to fight, so I let it slide. An additional preface to the upcoming horror story is that sometime during the advent season, my oldest daughter and I had discussed the old tradition of including an orange in people's stockings. Katy was horrified, having never eaten an orange, and also having embraced wholeheartedly our family tradition of chocolate gold-wrapped coins that are in the very bottom of her stocking each year.
John and I narrowly escaped having to leave church during the Christmas Eve service this year due to our uncontrollable giggling; when the last song ended we heaved a collective sigh and stood up, ready to wrestle our kids into the car, into their pjs, and into their beds so we (I) could finish wrapping gifts (yes, I did spring for buying wrapping paper this time around).  We were just turning to collect our coats when a young man, a friend of Katy's that we are fairly well acquainted with, came over to us, a Victoria's Secret Bag in his hand,a frown on his face.  He quickly approached John, my formidable looking husband.
"Um, your daughter gave me this, " he said,"and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have it."
He held out the bag to John, who peered into it as his eyebrows shot up to somewhere above his hairline.  Katy's friend continued to hold the bag out to John, whose expression was vacillating between confusion and horror. 
I rushed over, taking in the situation, knowing Katy thought it would be funny to use the lingerie bags as a joke, but not realizing she was going to pass them out IN CHURCH.  Peeking in the pink bag, my legs just about gave out - lying at the bottom was a banana and a small container of clear gel.
"That better be hand sanitizer!" my husband thundered.
It was. Katy had decided since we didn't have any oranges she would pass out bananas, and then apparently decided to throw in anything else she found lying around the house, since due to a lack of funds she hadn't actually bought gifts for anyone.
Her poor friend was trying to give the bag to John, probably worried he was about to get his arms ripped off, and I rushed away to try to stop my innocent daughter from handing out any more of her holiday "packages".  I found her outside, and did my best to navigate the conversation without sounding like some kind of pervert.  She gave me a blank look, and said, "Well, we didn't have any oranges, what was I supposed to do?"
Next year we will be assembling gifts together, maybe those jars full of cookie ingredients.

2 comments:

  1. LMAO! Oh my goodness! That's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was HORRIBLE!!!! OH MY WORD!!!!! I can't BELIEVE some of the things that happen to you. TOO funny!

    ReplyDelete